CALL TO ARTISTS - MOUNT RUSHMORE ROAD MONUMENTS
Artists Needed to Create Two New 3D Sculptures
- All eligible applicants regardless of race, sex, religion, nationality, or disability will be considered.
- Project budget, including design, fabrication and installation is set at $100,000 to be awarded to a single artist;
- Work should be under contract by October 13, 2017 for fabrication in the winter and installation in Spring, 2018. Artists may propose alternative schedules to include earlier completion or reasonable extension;
- Artists should submit original work, and will retain all related copyrights;
- Artists should reside within a 150 mile radius of Rapid City;
- The final work of art is intended as a 3D sculptural piece;
- Artists may propose materials of their preference;
- The existing stone bases and obelisks may be incorporated into the final designs. If artist chooses not to incorporate, removal of existing “monument” bases are at the artist’s expense;
- The use of images to give recognition of Mt. Rushmore and downtown Rapid City may be incorporated in some way at the artist’s discretion. However, it is not imperative to include the words Rapid City on final designs;
- The design should be visible for traffic going in both directions along Mt. Rushmore Road;
- Work should be designed to be recognizable and attractive for viewers traveling at 30 - 35 mph;
- Existing ground lighting is complete and should be considered in the artist’s design;
- Artists should keep in mind the effects of the sun in various seasons and times of day;
- Designs must recognize pedestrians in the vicinity. Work must accommodate pedestrian safety and sight visibility to oncoming traffic;
- Designs must not be offensive.
- Designs may not include any breach of intellectual property, trademarks, brands, images of illegal activity.
- Designs may not be used to advertise or promote business, product or viewpoint.
- Final design of the work must meet the recommendation of the Selection Committee, and ultimately be approved by the City of Rapid City.
How to Submit:
- Download application form below.
- Please submit a maximum of 10 high-resolution images; minimum 200dpi with minimum size of 12” x 24”. Due to file size you may need to send multiple emails.
- Files should be saved as .jpeg, .tif, or .pdf only.
- Please include Letter of Interest, bio and CV.
- Email entry form, images, Letter of Interest, bio and CV to email@example.com with a subject line: Mt. Rushmore Road Monuments, [YOUR NAME].
- Submission Deadline: Midnight, Friday, September 1, 2017.
- Late or incomplete submissions will not be considered.
- Selected Artist will be notified Friday, September 15, 2017 (Selection Committee reserves the right to conduct interviews with preferred artist(s) prior to final selection)
- Project under contract by Friday, October 13, 2017.
For more information, contact Pepper Massey firstname.lastname@example.org 605.394.4101 x 201.